(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Five Year Plan

http://karencarlisle.purplefiles.net/2015/09/02/my-five-year-plan/
I have a five-year plan.
Year one (2013-14)- I started half way through the year, so I guess it is a five and a half year plan really):
  1. Learn to write to deadlines (well, try to at least) and
  2. to harden myself to rejections.
2013 was the year of the competition entries. Nineteen entries. Lots of rejections. One short-listed. I was happy with that statistic.
An unexpected (but welcome) by-product was discovering I love writing steampunk. My short listed story, An Eye for Detail, was one of my first steampunk short stories. I get to play with history, cool gadgets, feisty heroines and dashing heroes, while indulging my passion for historical costume, research and fantasy. I had already started the first draft of a fantasy novel. It is now in the drawer, waiting for me to complete my current series of planned steampunk books. I also realised I could mold my writing hours around my health issues and, though I was writing longer hours than I had previously worked, I was healthier, and more content,
Year two (2015):
  1. Continue to keep deadlines (thank you NaNoWriMo)
  2. Complete and publish my novella and try to complete my first novel. Viola's first set of adventures is published in Journal #1: Doctor Jack & Other Tales.
  3. Learn more on the craft of writing. I have two more writing courses left for this year (and maybe more next year)
  4. To get known (the marketers call it 'branding') and start treating writing like a business - a career - and not a hobby. Part of this was to sort out my website and promote my name. Until now I have piggybagged on my old costuming website. Now that is changing.
  5. Set up an ABN and business name
  6. and treat this like a real job.
So far I have completed #1 (mostly) and #2. #3 is ongoing. There is always something to learn. #5 is completed. #4 and #6 are ongoing projects.
Today I am making a start on my Year Three list. I have been asked to do a talk on Writing Steampunk and Self-publishing, by local the Science Fiction/Fantasy discussion group, Critical Mass, at the SA Writers Centre 2nd September.
Tonight.
Yes, I am nervous. I am an introvert at heart and now I have to speak - in front of people. Again.
I've already started my deep breathing exercises.
Year three (2016):
  1. Do talks on steampunk, finishing, my second book, The Department of Curiosities, and starting the next installment.
  2. Make more videos for YouTube, including a book trailer for DOC.
  3. Write and publish the next journal in Viola Stewart's adventures.
  4. start (and perhaps finish?) a second Department of Curiosities book...
Year four and five are currently under review, as I was forced to quit my job a few years earlier than I had expected. A re-evaluation of my future and career has ensued. (Well, these things are supposed to be flexible.)
Time for an announcement, adding to Year 2 #4: Welcome to my new website address:

www.karenjcarlisle.com

I have redirected the new URL back to the old website address for now; I am hoping to have everything transferred by 2016. It's time to update your bookmarks.
Karen_J_Carlisle_9

No comments:

Post a Comment