(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Secret Project Announcement:

She Writes Songs…


I must admit when I first discovered steampunk I never thought I’d end up writing steampunk novels. But I did.

I never knew there was such a thing as steampunk music. But there is.

I love the uniqueness and range of music styles.  I now own several steampunk CDs, including works by The Littmus Steampunk Band, Alice’s Night Circus, Professor Elemental and The Cog is Dead.


And I never dreamed I would ever be  ever be announcing:


I’ve co-written a song.


Yes, me!  (Who’d have thunk it?)

But here I am, announcing just that.

A secret project I’ve been working on for the past months:

I co-wrote the song for The Littmus Steampunk Band, in collaboration with Richard Ryall who wrote the music.

And it’s been recorded, released and is now available on CD and digital download via Bandcamp. (And, while you’re there, check out Richard’s song, She Writes Books.)


Last year I was contacted by Richard, from The Littmus Steampunk Band, to see if I’d be willing to review their CDs on my blog. I said yes. Turned out I liked their sound.


At the end of 2017, Richard asked whether I’d be interested in writing some lyrics for the band’s next CD. I wasn’t sure at first. I rarely write poetry. It stretches me outside my ‘writing comfort zone’.


It’s strange which way fate twists us. When I was nine I won my very first writing competition – a poetry competition held for School Book Week. I won a copy of ‘West of Widdershins’ by Barbara Sleigh. I still have the book. It sits on my writing shelf. It inspires me to keep writing, even when my confidence is low…

And now I’ve come full circle; writing song lyrics is like writing poetry, isn’t it?



The album is now available on Bandcamp. You can hear The Gadgeteer, and get your digital copy for AUD$ 1.50.

If you prefer a hardcopy, the CD is AUD $15 (usually available from events). For more information, check out The Littmus Steampunk Band’s webpage or contact Richard via the webpage.


I’m grateful to Richard Ryall for asking me to collaborate with him, and for giving me this opportunity to reach beyond my comfort zone.

Thank you, Richard.



Secret Project Announcement:

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how fun! Just listened to the song -- are the lyrics available online anywhere, so I can read them while listening?

    ReplyDelete