Sorry if the timing is off. I got to sleep in one hour this morning. Daylight savings finished last night.
This month I have been making a new Victorian Corset. My original one was made many years ago. It was an experiment. I had no one to help me with the fitting. Its time has passed.
Over four weeks, Lynne – from the Australian Costumers’ Guild – ran corset making workshops. At last I had help with fitting! A godsend!
I planned to use some pinstripe suiting (snaffooed at a Spotlight sale). This can be used for both steampunk and dieselpunk outfits. I have 8m (one of those ‘half price if you buy to the end of the roll’ deals).
For the costumers out there, I have photos of the ‘corset on the go’ on my FB page – The Florence Files/The Purple Files – Steampunk Creations photo album. For those without FB, here is a quick rundown.
I highly recommend having your corset custom fitted – making them much more comfortable than an off the rack corset. Make your own or buy one. It is up to you.
Saturday was Day 1 of the local Oz ComicCon. I had planned to wear my steampunk Scout Mistress. This was quickly sidelined when the weather unexpectedly heated up earlier in the week. I spent yesterday sewing (rather than writing) and managed to finish! This meant I could wear my new airship crew costume (which is much cooler with a linen blouse and cotton skirt).
The accessories were sourced from opshops, garage sales and ‘cheap’ shops. At 11 o’clock on Friday night, I decided that I needed an airship badge. A quick delve into my ‘findings box’ and I whipped one up. Here is the final outfit. Very comfortable and hands free!
Manuscript Word Progress:
At 1st draft only:
Camp NaNoWriMo: 400 words and almost 1500 in research notes. (now the sewing has finished, the writing will renew in earnest).
Costumes, Conventions and Steampunky hijinks