(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, February 28, 2016

These Are a Few of My Favourite Things

original post: http://karenjcarlisle.com/2016/02/28/these-are-a-few-of-my-favourite-things/

And so we reach the end of this year's Steampunk Hands journey.
What a month. And I've shared only a few of my favourite things. For my last post I was going to share a list of my favourite steampunk movie, book, artist (etcetera). But I just couldn't decide. The answers keep changing depending on my mood. So I'm sharing some of my favourite steampunk photographs - with some explanations - instead.
The steampunk community and aesthetic figures largely in my life and helped steer my writing career. However, steampunk isn't a solitary passion, realised only via the computer screen. It includes social interaction. My family share a common interest in the costumes and events. Many friends (both old and new) have been lured by its charms - and they are encouraging and accepting. The community has manners and courtesy - a welcome commodity in today's alienating world.
PhotobyCatherineCurl mortlock1_copyrightCatherineCurl
zoo
When I think of steampunk, I think of good times, splendid events and hilarious shenanigans. I think of the splendid costumes and the spectacular sights resulting from hours of hard work by diverse creative individuals.
I think of all the wondrous memories I have and all the memories yet to come.
aviator_copyright2016KarenCarlisle forsale_copyright2016KarenCarlislesteve_copyright2016KarenCarlisle  olympia_copyright2016KarenCarlisle
hunter_copyright2016KarenCarlisle lostatzoo_copyright2016KarenCarlisle
I think of the personal inspiration, story ideas, creative and photographic opportunities steampunk has provided. Crafting visuals and writing steampunk/fantasy is my escape. It helps calm my stress and anxiety and helps me cope.
aviatrix_copyright2016KarenCarlisle parasol_copyright2016KarenCarlisle
librarians_copyright2016KarenCarlisle mechanic_copyright2016KarenCarlisle
timekeepers_copyright2016KarenCarlisle waiting_copyright2016KarenCarlisle
Journal1cover_paperback_copyright_KarenCarllisle_2015_SMALL
The steampunk community - like my garden - provides a calm, safe place.
It's a place where individuality is encouraged. I can let my hair down and not be judged.
It's a place where creativity is appreciated, where technology meets art. I'm not forced to choose between the two.
So when I am stressed, anxious or overwhelmed by everything around me,
I simply remember my favourite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.
tea_photoSWilliamson2015
You now know some of my favourite things, why not share yours?
Photographs: copyrights as stated: 
Karen Carlisle, Catherine Curl, Rui Barosso, Symon Williamson. 
All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment