(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The State of Affairs

original post at: http://karencarlisle.purplefiles.net/2015/10/28/the-state-of-affairs/

Why is it that the last few months of the year seem to be the busiest? And that's not contemplating Christmas shopping. Not only have I been soul-searching and kicking myself up the butt this week, but I have also found a new burst of enthusiasm. The daily task of producing a new piece of artwork has notched my creative brain up a gear.  Over the past week I have:
  • ordered some new bookmarks (giveaways for Supanova - mid November) They should arrive next week
  • almost finished another octoarm scarf for this weekend's Adelaide Mini Comic Con
  • packed up my books and bits to sell this weekend
  • helped my daughter to finish off a costume
  • proof read an ebook short story anthology (more on that in a later post)...
  • finalised the theme for an event (like a mini gallery) to showcase my books and artwork in Mad March next year (more when things are confirmed)
  • started a new set of inks to  sell at said event
  • Set to work and almost completed the cover for The Department of Curiosities
  • and finished another chapter in the same manuscript first draft.
And just when I get back into the heads of The Department's characters, NaNoWriMo looms: 50000 words on a new project, in one month. Thirty days. That's 1666 words a day, if I don't take break days. I have started outlining (that sounds like a planning thing! This pantser is slowly learning) a new set of adventures for Viola Stewart.
Last year I completed over 27000 words - over half the 50000 word target. My record is 33000 words in one month (without any pre-preparation). The first journal of Viola's adventures was approximately 44000 words. This is my goal - to get the first draft down for journal two.
MagicLantern-sit still sir_copyright2015_KarenJCarlisle
Inktober has been great for me - a very welcome, but unexpected, boost of creativity and enthusiasm. I just hope I can keep up the pace for next month: NaNoWriMo, a mini convention and my first booth at Supanova. Come and find me in The Alley. Just look for the posters. I'll be the one writing furiously.
lp (1) lp preview

No comments:

Post a Comment