(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, December 11, 2016

My London Cheat Sheet/ Research List

original post: http://karenjcarlisle.com/2016/12/11/my-london-cheat-sheet-research-list/

Australian speculative fiction writer, Narrelle Harris, recently wrote a blog post on A Cheat Sheet to London, with useful information links to aide in writing stories set in London. I've now added a few more books and websites to my 'go-to' research list. Fortunately I have visited once, albeit a flying visit. Still, writing steampunk stories based in London is a challenge for me - being a non-Londoner myself.
A big thank you to Narrelle for sharing her lists used to write her most recent Sherlock Holmes story, The Adventure of the Colonial Boy. Here's my list (concentrating on 19th century London) in return.

Where am I?

Though I write alternate history and fiddle with London's layout, I base my stories on maps of nineteenth century London. I use a combination of webpages and books to research the architecture and walk the streets of my London.
booth-map

House and Home and Social London

Victoria and the Royal Court

Murder & Mayhem - history and technology of Crime

Share your cheat sheet/research list

Now it's your turn. What resources (books, webpages) do you recommend for the non-Londoner writing stories set in London?
Narrelle Harris is the author of Walking in the Shadows, The Opposite of Life and, more recently penned a Sherlock Holmes mystery, The Adventure of the Colonial Boy published by Improbable Press.
 Photos:©2016 Karen J Carlisle. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment