(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, May 19, 2013

What is in a Name?

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet?"
- Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare.

Names, names, names! Argh!

Names are one of the hardest things to decide upon. I have just finished creating a new roleplaying character (rogue) and what was the hardest part of the whole process? You got it - deciding on the name. Making the task harder was the fact that it is an elven character. Not only did I have to decide on a name but it had to be an elven sounding name that did not sound too twee. I had a nickname, months ago but needed a full on elvenesque-knock-yer-socks-off-in-yer-face-I-am-an-elf-so-bring-it name for when she wants to be pompous and show off. (I need a handle on a character before I can really play them.)

 At least there are some Elf name generators online, you say. That may be but this was of no real help. If anything, it made my job even harder. I started with a meaning, based on her personality. No help. The resulting name either sounded so Lord-of-the-Rings wannabe or sounded so horrible phonetically that I could not bear even the thought of being called that for the next few years. (shudder). So I just randomly went through a list of generic Elven names maybe something sounding like her nickname. Eventually I came up with something bearable... She introduces herself by her nickname anyway. I could have saved so much time if I was not so pedantic with my characters... oh well...

Then there are stories and character names. There are two schools of thought on naming characters in stories: Firstly, just put in a dummy name or blank, continue with the flow of the story and add a name later. I have used this method twice. I use 'XXX'- usually in red so I can see all references later. (It also reminds me to PICK A NAME!) I found this makes it very hard for me to identify with the character(s) when stories are character driven. If I can't get a handle on him or her, then I find it so much harder for the story to develop and the words to flow.  

Method two is (of course), finding a name for each character before I start. I can waste days (and sometimes weeks) picking a name for my characters; they aren't really complete until they are named and until the characters are fully formed, the story cannot truly unfold. Sometimes, I even complete the whole family tree, requiring many, many more names. I am a glutton for self-induced punishment!

So, having decided that names must come before writing the story, I now had another set of options laid out in front of me: do I pick meaningful names that describe the characters personality/ foibles/ fate or use an ironic/ opposite name, like Angel who is really a hideous, villainous piece of scum. Or.. do I just randomly pick a name from a baby name book, as many would do when naming their child?

Which brings me to naming our child... (and I thought naming characters in a story was difficult?!). Honestly, we started looking at names over a year before we even started trying for a family. Heck, I had better just start writing a list of names for any possible story I may ever contemplate writing.. 

What's in a name?
Well, a flower called stinkingshittabooger might smell as sweet but would you want to risk it... and would you really want to kiss a guy with a name like that? He would want to be drop dead gorgeous!

So I am off to get the baby names book out.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment