(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Friday, October 11, 2013

Garden Therapy

It has been a tough week emotionally. I needed to get out of the house, into the open air and out of the constriction of the walls that surrounded me. Wednesday was too hot to dig in the garden but I did manage to pot up some succulent cuttings and fill some of my teapot collection. My hubby feels we have enough teapots inside the house, so now I collect interesting ones to use as pots in the garden. It was not too onerous a task for 30 deg celcius.

teapots
Yesterday it rained, rejuvenating the entire garden that had suffered from the heat the day before. I actually love the rain but it did confine me indoors once again. The walls were still closing in. I needed to escape. I dragged my family to a (relatively) local nursery and purchased an advanced lemon tree and a camelia sinensis (the type you can make your own tea from).


lemon camelia tea 2We have big plans for our garden. Well, at least I do. Last year I had planned to do some landscaping, removing much of the overgrown grass, replacing it with white stones al la Tuscan style, complete with humungous terracotta pots with dwarf fruit trees. Due to the health, stress and monetary issues this year, these plans have not eventuated and the heat is starting to roll in.

But there has been a light at the end of the tunnel. The landscaping is still not achieved but I have discovered a garden fairy godmother. She has funded a small garden spree because ‘I have inspired her to grow an edible garden on her balcony’.  After my tears of joy that there is such a generous soul out there, the greenie in me jumped for joy that I have actually inspired someone to garden! (everyone should grow some of their own food  - oh don’t let me get on my soapbox!) I still have goosebumps.

Squee!

Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop (I can’t believe I said that) so the ground can dry and I can get digging.


Garden Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment