(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Here be (More) Dragons.

I have been looking forward to the Writers’ group Spec Fic Chic meeting (every 3rd Friday of the month). There were three of us today.  (I am currently resisting the urge to quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail on what the number should be to count – “Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. ”).

dragonpurple
Okay, so I couldn’t resist. Ahem.

Though we were few, there was an enormous range of topics discussed, from copyright, writing work, our website and (best of all) lots feedback on each others’ work. The theme was dragons. I put forward my latest short story: ‘Here be Kitchen Dragons‘. Now I see a rewrite in the near future.  Some points were made on characters’ motivations, sparking some ‘eureka’ moments which lead to ideas on how to resolve some plot issues I have for my novel. I could not have asked for more!

Writing may be a solitary vocation but there is great benefit in seeking the input of other writers, taking advantage of their experience and having a fresh eye (and mind) to provide differing perspective and help me learn the craft. I have just spent the last three hours tapping away on my keyboard, enthused and enlightened. Over 1000 words done.  I just wish writers’ group was more than once a month. Sigh.


Here be Dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment