Today, I started painting the animals and flowers and vines. I used a medium green for the vines, then highlighed with a yellow and used a darker green for shadow and leaf veins. The flowers are red, orange and white. The strawberries are not finished and need highlighting, as do some of the red flowers.
I had the most fun painting the animals which are based on differing medieval manuscript appearances of them. There are three levels of colour, raw umbra mixed with a light yellow as it was a tad too dark, there is a light yellow and a 'mix of the lighter raw umber and light yellow' to make the median colour.
This leaves the acanthus leaves (the spikey curly leaves that have not been painted as yet. I am toying with making them gold with some shading, to lighten the project.
Then there is the matching scroll to paint!