(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

More Writing and some Useful Sites...

I have discovered some fantastic websites for Victorian Era research or for prompting ideas for writing!


Just to name a few!

Tuesday, my brain did not want to stop. During my lunch break, I managed to crack into the next scene of my short story. Last night, I typed the days writings into the computer. Total words now 1301.

The frustration now is trying to find information on the number of police per Divsion and if there were sub-divisions in 1870.  Having searched through the census report for 1881 (the closest to my tentative dates), I found some very interesting and unexpected jobs held by females at the time!

After a few hours of mulling over the new information and having reviewed the story so far, I am contemplating moving it ten years later. Firstly, one of the critical clues may not have been used by a woman in the 1870s (though this is fiction) but it has been niggling at me. Secondly, the main reason for setting it in 1870 was her association with an historical person; he was in the area at this time. Yesterday the historical figure became redundant (at least for this short story), so I can easily move the timeline without any consequences to the main 'clues' and plot devices...

More writing today...

Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment