(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Photo Shenanigans and experimenting.


The past few days, I have taken a break from writing and have been playing with different effects on some of my photos. I admit I love the 'toy camera' look (as some call it) and the effect of desaturated colours and increased contrast. I found a 'toy camera' setting that does this in-camera on my Canon. I really do like this effect (right: Writing)


Other effects I can do in-camera include grainy BW and fisheye. Interesting to know they are there, for future reference. I use BW a lot but the fisheye possibly won't be used often.
  

I had a play with the basic Irfanview program (something many should have), in an attempt to recreate the 'toy camera' effect above. Firstly, I increased the contrast to about 3/4 along the scale, then reduced the saturation by about 1/4. These are some of the results. The first photo had less contrast, the second (steampunk attire) had more contrast. 
There is less blue than in the in-camera 'toy camera' so I can't really claim it is recreating the effect above.  However, with more playing, I prefer the higher contrast photos and tried some more below. I think I will have to keep this in mind for some future work...

 
My favourite photo from today's experiments is this one below (of my husband).  

No comments:

Post a Comment