(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fashioning a Scroll and a Short Story

Wednesday was a busy day. Firstly, there was some housework was finished. Once the domestic chores were done, I could work on some things that were more fun. (My mother always said I had to finish my chores and homework first).

I have been procrastinating. Yes, I admit it. I have mentioned a scroll that I have been working on in my post The Makings of an Almost Period Patent of Arms.  I had finished the pencil sketch  and inked up the design, almost two weeks ago. Following several practices, I decided I really should 'bite the bullet' and finish the calligraphy. Calligraphy makes me nervous. If I make a mistake at this point, I have to redo the entire scroll. Or, in this case, the matching pair. It is like getting the nerve to take the first cut on expensive material. What if I screw it up?!

After a cup of tea, I finally found the courage and spent two hours writing the calligraphed text with a nib pen. I am now waiting for the two items to dry and I will have to do a little touching up. It was nerve wracking but finally it is complete. I am leaving this project for a few days now, so I can recover. However, the next phase is the painting. I love the painting. Such fun!!!

Project two: 
I have a few more short stories I am hoping to complete this month, all being well in the creative department. I had a quick look over An Eye for Detail. Did a quick edit and plan to return to it this weekend for final editing as it is due on the 20th. 

While I was catching up on some television during my break, I caught a really, really bad conspiracy documentary. It was actually quite entertaining and proved to be a great relaxation tool (probably not what the maker had intended though). There was one line that caught my imagination. Then a random sentence from a bit of research sparked an idea to match up with that line... 

An hour of research, a few hours of writing later and I have just finished 1117 words of the first draft of a short story titled Fashioned in Black. Hopefully this can be molded into something useful. If so, this is earmarked for one of the open themed short story competitions due at the end of the month.  


No comments:

Post a Comment