(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Monday, August 5, 2013

Light at the End of the Tunnel.

Sunday was a turning point,  in the weather,  my health and my short story.

The sun was a welcome relief to the recent rains (though I do love the rain and its restorative qualities).  The cat basked in the patches of light that moved over the tiles, warming them and providing comfort for her aching arthritic bones.  The doors were opened (though my dear husband did complain about the winter chill), the windows let in the cleansing breeze and the sunlight cheered me (and the rest of the family) up.


Finally, the pressure on my sinuses has been (mostly) quelled. The cough has almost abated though it insists on reminding me that it has not gone altogether ,  occasional coughing bouts that make my head spin and my muscles wrench. I have managed to go through four boxes of tissues this week! We did not have enough handkerchiefs (or time to wash them) to keep up with that load. At this rate, I am hopeful that I will be recovered enough to be able to work tomorrow.


Feeling less muddled in the head,  I pulled out the short story draft that I penned earlier  this week. Thankfully, it was not as brain-addled as I had feared; it actually made sense (woah!)  and did not need a full rewrite.


I am still searching for a title; usually this presents itself, if not before I start (giving me an idea to latch onto), very near the beginning of the creative process. This may be because the inspiration for this story was a picture I happened upon while scanning some pictures from a random Google search on steampunk. Hence the story evolved from a visual clue rather than a title, on this occasion.


I am hoping to have this one edited and polished for a local short story competition in the middle of the month.



Light at the End of the Tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment