(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Friday, August 9, 2013

Short story finalised.

Thursday was spent indulging myself. After yesterday I needed to chill, to relax and do things I like to do. I caught up on some television shows, wrote my blog and caught up on some reading. I am currently reading the final book in Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate series Timeless. 


Eventually I started getting stir crazy; I had to write something. I had two options:  trying to decide on a new story for my next short story or finish with final editing and polish of my current short story (the one that needed a title).


I sat at the computer and tried to think of a new plot. Nothing inspirational. I sat at the table, with pen in hand, hoping something would appear on the notebook.  Still no spark. Next I went though a list of story ideas that I have and trolled pictures for ideas. Though I did make a little headway on some plots for a later time, there was just nothing wanting to commit itself to the page.


So onto option 2: editing. This steampunk short story is due on Monday and will need a few days to arrive in the post. I had just had it proof read (after the second rewrite and edit) by a friend of mine and it all that was required was a final spell check, polish and proof read. The worst of the trimming was over so it is a much more relaxing proce


gawler comp


ss at this stage. The final polish was changing the heroine’s name to something more reminiscent of the Victorian era.


With three  12 pt, 1.5 line spaced printed copies of the story in the envelope, each page labelled with the title… ah, the title! Finally I decided on The Guest Upstairs…


I love the feeling of accomplishment I get when the story is done and finally sent off. I have a few more characters to add to my ‘world’ of steampunk.  With three copies in the envelope it was posted today, with four days to spare.

Mischief managed.



Short story finalised.

No comments:

Post a Comment