(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Storylines and Costumes

Bookweek is looming. This year the senior class have decided to all dress to a theme: Disney. Life would have been much easier if they had chosen Pirates or Space or even History; our daughter has costumes (that fit) for all of these. But no, the voted for Disney.


Life would have also been much easier if our daughter had chosen one of several female Disney characters that I originally suggested but the reply to most of the ones I suggested was ‘no’. From the beginning, the choice had to be based on two things: 1. quick to make and 2. with materials we already have in the cupboard. In the end we pulled out most of the cupboards contents, searched online and finally came to an agreement: Briar Rose. Briar rose skrt


The patterns were quite easily made. The skirt was straight forward and could be worn over one of my tie-on white petticoats to give more body to it.  It was sewn up Saturday morning.


I used a Simplicity pattern to start my bodice pattern (2843- a Historical/Pioneer outfit) as my daughter will not sit still long enough for me to make a toile.  I removed the straps and will hopefully get her to stand still long enough to at least fit it so I can put some boning in..


Briar rose bodice pattern


On writing:

I have the bare bones of my next short story which will most likely be a steampunk with vague SF crossover possibly hinting at supernatural/gaslamp. Sounds confusing? Yes, so far it does. I am letting things filter down through my subconscious now so I can figure out if the ending will resolve ‘happily’, ambiguously or in tragedy. Then again, I am also toying with leaving it up i the air, for the reader to decide…


Argh! Decisions!




Storylines and Costumes

No comments:

Post a Comment