(This is a mirror site of my webpage karenjcarlisle.com)

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Getting Older.

women in blackThere is less than a week until my birthday and, for the first time in many years, I am feeling a little trepidation.  Everywhere there is the evidence of the youth cult of this millenium; it started in the 1980s with the get fit craze, the increase in non-celebrities seeking out selective plastic surgery and the Y-generation have taken over.

Fashion seems geared towards the young and trendy, rather than the over thirties and trendy. Recent shopping trips have presented me with micro-minis, styles and colours that make my brain scream. I refused to be seen as mutton dressed up as lamb. I have my dignity. Yet I don’t quite feel old enough to to shop at the ‘Mature Age Boutiques’.

This situation is not helped by the restricted sizes (often under size 14. 16 if you are lucky) to be found in many boutiques, leaving the options slim and rather uninspiring. This week I have decided to start sewing again. One way, or another, I am determined that I will have a retro/bohemian/possibly steampunk feel to my wardrobe. No thanks to retail. 

Then there is the electronic revolution which insists on pressuring me into buying an iphone (I am defiantly remaining android) and insisting that I update ALL of my equipment yearly. Ugh. I am writing on my computer right now. I have warmed to Facebook and dabble on twitter but I am definitely not technology savvy. I only just discovered that there is an ‘other’ message list on Facebook. Sigh. But I will not be defeated! I have come to find my Scrivener programme is quite useful and am debating a voice recognition programme.

Having said all that, I did mention at the beginning that it was just a little trepidation… for about the length of this blog post actually. Life is great. I have more freedom. Experience is useful in my profession. Age is not a barrier to writing.

Many years ago, I was told about a poem called ‘Warning’ by Jenny Joseph which The poem spawned the Red Hat Society and starts with the lines:
“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.”
and finishes with:
“But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.”

In the meantime, I will work on sorting out my wardrobe, battle with technology and continue to wear purple (my favourite colour actually). Most of all I will enjoy life and write! Bring on my birthday party!

me
(School sports day mania ) self portraits/photos” (c) Karen Carlisle
Getting Older.

No comments:

Post a Comment